Getting Married in Jersey

The changes in the island’s marriage laws mean that it is much easier for couples to marry in Jersey. Wedding applications can be made by post and, once the paperwork is complete, you need only to arrive at least three working days before the planned wedding date to complete formalities and collect the marriage licence.

Visitors to Jersey can marry at the office of the Superintendent Registrar in the Royal Square, or in an Anglican or non-Anglican church. Couples can also get married at “Approved Premises,??? which have been licensed for the celebration of Civil Marriages. These premises include Jersey’s magnificent medieval castles, other heritage sites, manor houses and hotels.

Registering a Marriage

Where a civil marriage is to take place in Approved Premises or in the office of the Superintendent Registrar, it is necessary for the parties to the marriage to apply to the Superintendent Registrar for a marriage licence. Persons wishing to marry in Approved Premises must also make their own arrangements with the management of the premises concerned.

Where a marriage is to take place in an Anglican Church, (Church of England), the parties to the marriage must consult the Rector or Vicar of the church concerned.

For all other non-Anglican Registered Buildings, i.e., synagogues, temples, mosques, etc., the couple must make their own arrangements with the priest, minister or religious leader. Having agreed to the date and time of the marriage the couple must call on the Superintendent Registrar to apply for a marriage licence.

The Marriage Licence

Before a marriage licence may be issued the parties must give notice of their intention to marry. This may be done either in person or, for those living outside of the island, by mail.

Notice must be given not more than three months and no less than ten working days before the date of the marriage.Couples are generally required to give their Notice one month before the date of their marriage. When giving Notice of Marriage the parties will be required to produce the following documents:

  • Full birth certificates for both parties to the marriage, (that is the long-form certificate with details of parents).
  • Widows and widowers must produce the death certificate for their late spouse.
  • Divorced persons must produce a Divorce Decree Absolute.
  • All documents in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by an officially certified translation into the English language.
  • Persons who have changed their name by deed poll or statutory declaration must provide a copy of that document.

Minors, (persons under the age of 18 years), wishing to marry must obtain the written consent of both parents or guardian before Notice can be given of their intention to marry. Persons under the age of 16 are not permitted to marry.

Upon receipt of a Notice of Marriage form and fee the Superintendent Registrar will enter the details into the Announcements of Marriage Book, and the names of both parties to the marriage will be posted on the notice board outside the office of the Superintendent Registrar for a minimum period of seven clear days.

The parties to the marriage must attend the Office of the Superintendent Registrar no less than three working days prior to the marriage to collect the marriage licence. Once the licence has been issued the marriage must take place within fourteen days.

For an Anglican Church wedding the marriage will be celebrated either by Banns or by licence of the Dean. All arrangements will be made through the Church of England.


Fees range from £130 to £280 depending on requirements. Cheques should be made payable to “Treasurer of the States??? and be in pounds sterling. Additional charges may be made by the church or Approved Premises.


Marriages in Jersey may take place between the hours of 8.00am and 7.00pm. The Register Office is available for marriages of non-residents from Monday to Saturday between the hours of 11.00am and 1.00pm.

For further information please contact the Superintendent Registrar: Sue Groves, 10 Royal Square, St. Helier,Jersey, JE2 4WA, Tel: 01534 441335, Fax: 01534 441374


If you reside in a Jersey parish yet wish to marry in an Anglican church within another parish you may well have to visit the Dean of Jersey to obtain your Marriage Licence. Your church Reverend or Vicar will no doubt let you know if this is the case.